Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Opua, NZ.

There are loads of good sailors in NZ. I think that every NZ person and his dog has a sailing boat. Here in Opua there are hundreds yachts and today, Wednesday, they had one of their many weekly racing days, where they, a bit like in Newport, RI, zigzagged between the moored yachts and raced deep into this natural harbor. There are so many different racing boats that I can't give a brief description, but I liked, in particular, this four man trapeze boat, which was extremely well raced. 


Not much to write about in Opua, except for the cold, windy and wet weather. I have the diesel heaters running a lot and even during parts of the nights to keep warm and the humidity at bay. People are nice though and I have bought a lot of equipment from the well stocked chandlers and today I had the tender cover restitched at North Sails.


This is the old store dating back to 1914. It is charming and apart from a supermarket, it also serves at the Post Office, Lotto, Phone cards, small restaurant, bakery, Ice cream store, etc.. But the prices are extremely high.

No comments:

Post a Comment